Skip to main content
1.1 Board Officers
- The officers of the Board of Regents shall consist of the president (Iowa Code §262.9(1) (PDF)) and a president pro tem and the Executive Director. The president and the president pro tem may collectively be referred to as “Board Leadership” throughout this policy manual.
In April of even-numbered years, a president and a president pro tem shall be elected by the Board of Regents from its members for a two-year term to commence on May 1.
- The president of the Board shall preside at all meetings of the Board; shall appoint members of all committees; with the Executive Director of the Board, execute such instruments and contracts as may be required by law, policy, or Board action; and shall perform such duties as usually pertain to this office and such other duties as may be assigned by the Board.
- In the event of a vacancy in the office of president, the president pro tem shall serve as president until such time as a new president is elected by the Board to fill the unexpired term. If a vacancy occurs in the office of president pro tem, a successor shall be elected as soon as practicable.
- In the event of an emergency situation in which the institutional head of a Regent institution is judged by the President of the Board of Regents as being incapacitated and unable to perform normal duties of the office, the Board President, in consultation with the Executive Director, may name an “acting President/Superintendent” until such time as the Board is able to ratify the appointment of an “Interim President/Superintendent”.
- The President of the Board of Regents is authorized to determine a state of emergency exists at one or more of the institutions under the jurisdiction of the Board of Regents based upon circumstances that pose an imminent threat to the health or safety of persons or property at the affected institution(s). In the event of an emergency, the President is authorized to take such action as may be necessary to safeguard persons or property at the affected institution(s); including, but not limited to, suspension or waiver of all or any portion of the Board of Regents Policy Manual and administrative rules. The President shall seek Board of Regents ratification of any actions taken pursuant to this subsection at the earliest practical time, but in no event later than the next regularly scheduled meeting of the Board of Regents.