Regents History: September 12-13, 1963
September 12-13, 1963 - Cedar Falls, Iowa
- Alfred Noehren, President, Spencer
- Maurice B. Crabbe, Eagle Grove
- John Chrystal, Cedar Rapids
- Wilbur Molison, Grinnell
- John C. Oberhausen, Dubuque
- Stanley Redeker, Boone
- Dannie Rosenfield, Des Moines
- Harriet Valentine Lubetkin, Des Moines
- Melvin Wolf, Waterloo
Plans for phase three of the University of Iowa Library project were approved. Phase three included an addition to the building, expanding its total usable space to 200,000 square feet. The addition, completed in 1965, was the second of three additions to the Main Library, which opened in January 1952. The first addition added a new south wing in the early 1960s. The third addition, completed in 1972, nearly doubled the size of the library.
Budgets for laboratory equipment for the newly-approved Engineering Building No. 2 at Iowa State were passed. Engineering Building No. 2, renamed Town Engineering in 1973 to honor of George H. Town, former dean of the college of engineering, was completed in 1964. Facilities featured in the laboratory equipment bid included a 40-foot water tow tank for hydrospace experiments.
Iowa State’s Lyon Hall, originally constructed in 1914, was approved for expansion. New restrooms, electrical and plumbing, and new floors were installed over the course of the next year, modernizing the hall and helping to extend its life to the present day. Today, Lyon Hall is part of the larger Barton-Lyon-Freeman Residence Complex.