Regents History: July 13-15, 1966
Board of Regents Membership
- Stanley Redeker, President, Boone
- Casey Loss, Algona
- Thomas Louden, Fairfield
- Wilber Molison, Poweshiek
- Ned Perrin, Mapleton
- William Quarton, Cedar Rapids
- Jonathan Richards, Red Oak
- Dannie Rosenfield, Des Moines
- Melvin Wolf, Waterloo
The Board, acting jointly with the State Board of Public Instruction as the State Educational Television Agency, passed a resolution that included a capital expenditure of $15 million to be used to improve television production capacity around the Regents Enterprise; specifically, at the University of Iowa and the University of Northern Iowa (then known as the State College of Iowa). Additionally, this resolution provided equipment for the first color television productions on the two campuses.
The Regents approved a preliminary material outline, project budget and specifications for a new “high-rise” residence hall for 600 students at UNI. Plans for the new residence hall referred to it as North Hall. The approved plans were greatly expanded in October, 1966, when UNI officials presented plans to add a second “high-rise” residence hall and a new dining center to the previous plan. Final approval for the “Towers Complex” was given in August, 1967. The buildings would be named after David A. Dancer, Executive Secretary (Executive Director) of the Board from 1942-67, and Paul F. Bender, Dean of Students at UNI from 1952-64.