Regents History: April 10-11, 1950
April 10-11, 1950
- Henry Shull, President, Sioux City
- Dwight Rider, Fort Dodge
- Roy Louden, Fairfield
- Arneda Kyseth, Clarion
- Dorothy Houghton, Red Oak
- Halstead Carpenter, Monticello
- V.B. Hamilton, Hampton
- Richard H. Plock, Burlington
- W.S. Rupe, Ames
President Virgil Hancher reported that Harvey H. Davis would be appointed provost of the State University of Iowa. Davis, who earned his bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the university, was serving as Executive Dean for Teaching and Research and as Dean of the Graduate College. The Harvey H. Davis Memorial Scholarship is named in his honor and is awarded to an “outstanding graduate student in educational leadership with preference given to nominees interested in the financing of education.”
The Board approved an expansion of the Iowa State Agronomy Hall project, allocating $20,908 for the completion of the north wing of the second floor. Agronomy Hall opened on campus in 1952, with an addition added in 1986.
Bids were received for a new women’s dormitory at Iowa State Teachers College (UNI). The first building to use the name North Hall at UNI (Dancer Hall was referred to as North Hall in preliminary sketches), the approved dormitory would house junior and senior women. Changes in elementary teacher certification standards, which were expanded from 12 weeks of college-level teacher training to two years, necessitated expanded housing at UNI. North Hall, renamed Campbell Hall in honor of retiring Dean of Women Sadie B. Campbell, opened for the Fall 1952 semester and was the first dormitory on campus to feature telephones in every room.