May 31 - June 2, 2022 Meeting Recap
The Board of Regents met May 31 - June 2 at the University of Iowa Levitt Center in Iowa City. Selected items discussed are outlined below. View the full agenda.
The Board conducted its annual performances reviews of the institutional heads and executive director. Following performance reviews, the Board authorized the following personnel actions:
- Awarded a $20,000 performance incentive to Special Schools Superintendent Steve Gettel.
- Authorized $50,000 retention incentives to be paid July 1, 2022 and July 1, 2023 and established a new deferred compensation plan commencing July 1, 2022 and terminating June 30, 2024 with annual contributions of $130,000 for Executive Director Mark Braun.
- Authorized a $50,000 increase to the annual base salary and established a new deferred compensation plan commencing July 1, 2022 and terminating June 30, 2026 with annual contributions of $50,000 for University of Iowa President Barbara Wilson.
- Authorized a $50,000 increase to the annual base salary and established a new deferred compensation plan commencing July 1, 2022 and terminating June 30, 2024 with annual contributions of $40,000 for Iowa State University President Wendy Wintersteen.
- Established a new deferred compensation plan commencing July 1, 2022 and terminating June 30, 2024 with annual contributions of $50,000 for UNI President Mark Nook.
Election of Board Leadership
President Mike Richards and President Pro-Tem Sherry Bates were re-elected to serve an additional two years as Board Leadership. The terms will expire in 2024.
Institutional Strategic Plans
The Board approved multi-year strategic plans from the institutions. The Board approved its own strategic plan earlier this year.
- University of Iowa Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Iowa State University Strategic Plan (PDF)
- University of Northern Iowa Strategic Plan (PDF)
- Iowa Education for Deaf and Blind Strategic Plan (PDF)
Resolution Honoring Superintendent Steve Gettel
President Richards read a resolution honoring Special Schools Superintendent Steve Gettel for his service to the Board and to deaf/blind education in Iowa. The Board presented Gettel with a plaque to commemorate his eight years of service.
Academic Affairs Committee
The committee approved three new programs at UI, including bachelor’s-level programs in exercise science, health promotion and health studies. The committee also approved two new centers at UI, including the Iowa Center for School Mental Health.
Read More: University of Iowa Center for School Mental Health
Further: Distance Education Task Force Report
Reports from Institutional Heads
Presidents Barbara Wilson, Wendy Wintersteen and Mark Nook, and Superintendent Steve Gettel presented the Board with updates on campus activities.
Property and Facilities Committee
The committee approved Iowa State’s strategic facilities plan and extended two equipment leases with cellular network companies Verizon and Cingular. In addition, the committee approved revised budgets for UI’s wrestling facility and State Hygienic Laboratory projects. Finally, the Board gave approval of schematic design, project description and budget for the Therkildsen Industrial Engineering Building at Iowa State.
Read More: A New Home for ISU IMSE - Therkildsen Industrial Engineering Building
Public Comment Period
Three individuals spoke to the Board during the public comment period. Speakers were Hannah Zadeh, Caleb Klipowicz and Glenn Houlihan from the Campaign to Organize Graduate Students (COGS).
Campus and Student Affairs Committee
The committee received a presentation on the impact of social media on mental health.
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics Committee
The committee received the UIHC presentation from VP for Medical Affairs and Dean of the Carver College of Medicine Brooks Jackson, Interim Associate VP of UI Health Care and UIHC CEO Kimberly Hunter, and Associate VP for Finance and UIHC CFO Mark Henrichs. The Board also approved a six percent hospital rate increase.
Investment and Finance Committee
The committee received the quarterly investment and cash management from Marquette representatives Dave Smith and Doug Oest.
Audit and Compliance Committee
Board Chief Audit Executive Deb Johnston presented internal audit reports, and Ernie Rubin from the state auditor’s office presented state audits.