Iowa’s 33rd General Assembly created the State Board of Education in 1909 to oversee, coordinate and govern the state’s three public institutions of higher learning, including the State University of Iowa in Iowa City, the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts in Ames, and the Iowa State Teachers College in Cedar Falls. The State Board of Education also has overseen the Iowa School for the Deaf since 1917, and the Iowa Braille and Sight Saving School since 1911.
The State Board of Education was renamed the Iowa Board of Regents in 1955. The three institutions followed with name changes of their own, beginning with the Iowa State College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts changing to Iowa State University of Science and Technology in 1959. The Iowa State Teachers College became the State College of Iowa in 1961 and the University of Northern Iowa in 1967. Finally, the State University of Iowa shorted its name to the University of Iowa for common use in 1964.
The Board of Regents monthly newsletter will revisit past meetings that spurred important developments in the history of the enterprise. In addition, the lives of past board presidents will be highlighted.
Selected Past Meetings
- September, 1948
- June 23-24, 1955
- July13-15, 1966
- October 19-20, 1972
- August 21-22, 1980
- November 17, 1993
- December 13-14, 2000
Presidents of the Board of Regents
|Mary Louise Petersen||1973-1981|
|Harry H. Hagemann||1958-1963|